Research and Planning Essay



RESEARCH AND PLANNING ESSAY 


Research and Planning was a staple of nearly all of my media projects during my time on the course. The vast majority of all of my projects required a lot of preparation, with that preparation coming in the form of my Research and Planning.

First of all, The primary task that I completed on the A-Level Media course was the College Magazine. This task was very much a 'control' example as we attempted this task with minimal to no prior experience of creating a magazine using InDesign, and absolutely no Research or Planning. As a class, we were given a brief template to follow and that was it when it came to a formula to follow. As a result, the work was particularly ineffective and didn't look at all like a magazine you'd find on the shelves anywhere in real life. Because of the rigid structure and generic examples, we were not allowed to exhibit much creativity at all, and therefore my piece was not unique at all. In addition, I had very limited ability with the program and therefore was not able to make my piece creative as I could not make full use of the features of InDesign.

Shortly after, The Music Magazine was the second piece of work that I completed in my A-Level Media course. My skill had developed significantly at this point, and therefore so did my Research and Planning. I drafted out many potential covers, contents pages, and DPS for my magazine. I also did a lot of audience research for the Hip-Hop genre etc. to make sure that my magazine was completely appropriate for the target audience/demographic. Due to my enhanced ability and skill with Adobe InDesign, I was able to implement a larger amount of my own ideas and as a result, my piece was much more creative and imaginative. However, my own ideas lead me to go against typical hip-hop conventions, which, while being more creative, damaged my grade in the long term, as the module didn't encourage a great deal of creativity.

Next, and as the first project of A2, I made a film trailer as part of my horror movie work. Research and Planning was very extensive all all-encompassing at this point and therefore made the current product both instantly recognisable yet creative and different. As for implementing actual creative ideas, I was well-versed in many programs for this project. This helped greatly as it meant I could spend more time pushing the boundaries of what I was able to do, rather than getting to grips with the software at hand. Differently to previous projects, this trailer uses conventions in a certain way, in order to convey a typical message. An example of this is the absence of a Final Girl, despite the film being from the 'Slasher' sub-genre. This could possibly convey a misogynistic message as a response to the wave of Post-Feminist Horror in modern society.

To conclude, I believe that I have developed significantly as a post-modern media producer. I have developed my Research and Planning for projects, and I also have developed my ability regarding various programs, therefore allowing me to display a much larger element of creativity in my pieces, which is the biggest development in myself as a media producer. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Technology Essay

Application of Theories to my Trailer (EXAM QUESTION)